Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Fresh Out -- Part 2

So what was I thinking ...  going back to school for a degree and career?

           I really wasn’t thinking … too far into the future that is. I didn’t have a grand plan. I didn’t lay out a five year strategy. I had no preconceived notions of making SVP of something within a given time frame.  I wanted a better paycheck and if ‘Mr. Right’ happened to cross my path in the process, I would factor that into the equation then. I didn’t really start to tap my testosterone reservoir seriously until I left the second job and was actually hired into my chosen profession … Technology, though in those days it was call Data Processing. Midway through my career it took on a more professional moniker when we started calling ourselves MIS ... short for Management Information Systems ... but today we are IT,  Information Technology.  In short, I was writing software and running computer systems. Now I had to do more that tap my testosterone. I had to turn the spigot on full blast.  It was been flowing ever since … twenty+  years.
            I’ve reached the ranks of SVP and earned a position as Director of Technology. You certainly could say that the paycheck got much better. There is no need to repeat the perks from the last post. But may I remind you that I was very much staring into that glass ceiling. At this point in my career, I had to work just as hard, expend just as much testosterone, now, as on my climb up just to maintain my plateau position ... thus my dilemma … fresh out of testosterone.
            I can’t say that my current condition was a total surprise for me. At the time I began my writing I had been running low for a few years. The last four years of my previous job had just zapped me. I had had six managers in four years and the last manager was still billed as ‘temporary’.  Four of the six were men. It takes a lot of work and testosterone to reestablish yourself and your team with each new manager. The men require more. The company had reorganized several times. The economy slipped, budgets were cut and jobs were lost. Change is a necessary component of life. Change is good. I kept reminding myself of that as I sucked up another quart of testosterone to weather the next storm of change. 
            Seems the depletion of testosterone is a natural occurrence for women. Men do experience dipping levels later in life but it is never really depleted. This means that men maintain the ability to compete and procreate late into their lives.  I wonder what God was thinking? 


Let's hold that for the next post. 


         

No comments:

Post a Comment